Sunday, December 19, 2010

He is Moving in Us

Church this morning was amazing! We had a guest preacher whose sermon really touched me. It was related to Christmas but then again, not so much. The first part was based on the story of Mary, when the angel came to her and told her she would birth Jesus (Luke 1:26-38). Mary, a virgin engaged to Joseph was told she was going to carry and deliver Jesus! The pastor, Dave Burns, spoke of how much this must have "freaked her out!" However, because of her faith, she trusted that all would be well. She was literally pregnant with Jesus! There was no hiding it and many people would cast judgement on her, including her soon to be husband! But even with all of these things, she was His servant, and trusted that it would all be alright!

The second part was based on Matthew 1:18-25 which tells Joseph's side of this new revelation that his fiancee was pregnant. In those days especially this was a huge deal. Joseph really struggled with what he should do and even considered breaking things off with Mary. But, once again, through faith, he trusted Mary, and did everything he could to support Mary and the child she would birth! It just amazes me the strength and character that both Mary and Joseph show us through these two stories.

The pastor went on to show us how this pertains to our lives today, which really hit home for me. How many of us are in Mary's shoes, where God is working miracles in our lives and we have to have faith that He has a plan and knows what He is doing? Then there are the Joseph's, who may be in a supportive role for those receiving the miracle. How should we support those around us we love who are in the midst of a miracle? Do we doubt, or have faith?? How many of us are pregnant with a miracle from Jesus that is growing inside us? Yes, it may freak us out, but we must embrace and support it!

I know I'm not explaining it near as well as he did, but I hope you get the picture. Now, why this hit home for me. Allen is Mary. God is working a miracle in him through The Pathway Home. We were literally in a very bad situation with Allen and his PTSD. It had become VERY dangerous and we were desperately trying to find a program to help him find safety and peace. We had looked for a few months but nothing was working out. The VA said he wasn't stable enough for their program and medicare and tricare kept saying it was the VA's job to treat his PTSD. Oh a whim, I contacted The Pathway Home and we flew him there 3 weeks later. If this wasn't a miracle, I don't know what was! The miracle is still unfolding as he gets help there. His confidence is building and his coping skills are growing! It is truly miraculous!

Since Allen is Mary, that makes me Joseph! I of course had my fears and doubts, but I know that He has a plan for all of us. I also know that He didn't save Allen in Iraq to come home and live a horrible, traumatized life. I know that He has plan for Allen, me and our family and that once we are ready, He will show it to us. In the mean time, I have to support Allen the best way I can and constantly seek guidance from our Lord almighty!

I can see how these stories relate to so many lives, probably every one's. I'm sure that we each face being like Mary and Joseph many times throughout our life. I hope that by me sharing how this amazing sermon touched my life, it will in turn touch another.

Even Now.......Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment