Saturday, August 21, 2010

Freedom of Speech

Being at home most days I find myself often perusing the internet for articles related to our post injury life. We are still trying to figure out the ins and outs that go along with being retired, but for the most part, I think we are figuring things out. Yesterday, while on facebook, I happened a long an editorial written by a Vietnam era spouse. It was a very negative spin on military families and the sacrifices they make daily.

The writings of Mrs. Martha Sisk stirred up a lot of emotions for me. In a nutshell she said that current soldiers and their families need to soldier up and stop whining about the sacrifices they are making for our country. (I am going to post the link to her article with this post just so you can read it for yourself and I do not have to quote all of it. Also, so that I do not misconstrue anything she says.) She herself is a wife a retired Vietnam era veteran so it makes her editorial even more offensive to me. Being a part of the military brings a sense of camaraderie and brotherhood which she obviously has forgotten about. We should be supporting each other not badmouthing.

At the end of her article, she does say that those who have died in the line of duty or those who are severely injured are not who she is talking about. So, where does my family fall in her opinion? This is actually a question I wonder about for a lot of people, especially the politicians, military, and VA.

I guess my biggest issue with her opinion is that if service members and their families are not sacrificing what exactly is it? Yes, our military today is a volunteer force. Yes I voluntarily married my husband knowing he was in the military. However, my kids did not choose to be born to a military family. Nor did any of us volunteer to have our lives turned upside down by the injuries we are living with due to the sacrifice my brave husband gave to his country. I don't see how anyone could view our sacrifice as us whining about things when if given the chance, he would do it all over again in a heartbeat. And, I would support him in that decision! I think that it is a sacrifice that we all make willingly and yes, we do and will need some help to make it through. However, that is not whining. After all, our sacrifices we willingly make, are what allows you to write your opinion and have it published!!

Mrs. Sisk's full article can be read at http://fayobserver.com/articles/2010/08/20/1022346 . I would love to hear other's comments!!

Even Now.........Gina


No comments:

Post a Comment